National Day of Reflection: March 23rd 2021
On 23 March 2021, it'll be one year since the first UK lockdown. Since then, millions of people have been bereaved, both as a result of Covid-19 and due to other causes. The restrictions we've all been living under have meant that many people have had to grieve without the comfort of having friends and family around them.
Watch this video from Marie Curie to understand more: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsUOWcvL_TM&t=3s
Marie Curie, a charity which supports people around the event of a terminal diagnosis, has organised a National Day of Reflection to acknowledge grief and loss over the last year. The national Church of England is one of several organisations supporting it so what can we all do?
Visit the Marie Curie site at https://www.mariecurie.org.uk/get-involved/day-of-reflection
WHAT WILL BE HAPPENING ON THE DAY OF REFLECTION?
- There will be a minute's silence at 12 noon on 23 March to create a moment that shows support for the millions of people who've been bereaved.
- The church bell at Measham will be tolled to mark the 12noon call to silence
- It might be a day to connect with someone who is grieving. This might be in simple ways such as having a chat with them, sending a card, a message, or giving them some spring flowers.
- Plant a seed, a bulb, a bush as a sign of hope
- Come into church to pray yourself: Measham, Donisthorpe and Appleby churches are all open for prayer from 10am – 3pm
- Join in the 8pm prayer as a 'share the light' moment by putting a candle or lantern in your window
Specially written prayers for you to use:
Be with us as we think about all that has changed this year,
And help us to trust that you are always with us.
Be close to us as we remember those who have died,
And help us to trust they are at peace with you.
Show us how to reach out to others with kindness and care ,
So that hope shines out in every heart and home,
God of Love,
As we think about all that has changed this year,
help us to trust that you are always with us.
As we remember those who have died,
help us to trust they are at peace with you.
As we reach out to others with kindness and care,
may hope shine out in every heart and home.
(You can watch this prayer in British Sign Language here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSL3EpsRQ18&t=68s )
Download a colouring sheet here: children and adults can do it /content/pages/documents/dayofreflection-colouring-sheet.pdf
Posted: Wed, 17 Mar 2021 14:48 by Dawn Roache